You can own almost anything!
Here are some popular self-directed retirement investments
- Single or Multifamily Rental Property
- Precious Metals
- Undeveloped Land
- Mineral Rights (Oil and Gas)
- General Partnership
- Joint Venture
- Real Estate Loans
- Business Loans
- Timber Deeds
- Cattle/Livestock Certificates
- Race Horses and Competition Animals
- Mutual Funds
- Certificates of Deposit
- And More!
According to the IRS, the law does not permit IRA funds to be invested in...
- life insurance
- collectibles (stamps, cars, art...)
- S-Corporation stock.
See our list of prohibited transactions for more information.
If you invest your IRA into a restricted investment, the amount invested is considered distributed in the year invested and you may have to pay a 10% additional tax on early distributions.